Kyara is not her hair

Posted by Kyara | Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009

I have heard of a song from India Arie (extraordinary singer but unfortunately not very famous in France). The song is called "I am not my hair" and as I am transitionning the lyrics really talked to me...

It seems to be about my life:
Little girl with the press and curl
Age eight I got a Jheri curl
Thirteen I got a relaxer
I was a source of so much laughter
At fifteen when it all broke off
Eighteen and went all natural

Lots of us changed the way they looked because of the pressure from the environment. It's important to be who you wanna be.
At first, my decision to go natural had nothing to do with philiosophy. I just wanted to be able to manage my hair in an easier way but when you decide to do such things, you have to struggle everyday for people to accept you as you are so now I embrace this combat...

we all need to get over stereotypes... I am sure everyone has already heard someone talk about good and bad hair
Good hair means curls and waves Bad hair means you look like a slave
Now I love my hair as it is and it's never been healthier!!!

Check it out & be natural!!! :)





K.

J'ai récemment entendu une chanson d'India Arie (chanteuse extraordinaire mais malheureusement peu connue en France). La chanson s'intitule "I am not my hair" et étant donné que je suis en pleine transition pour revenir à ma texture de cheveux naturelle, les paroles m'ont semblé avoir été écrites pour moi...

J'ai l'impression qu'elle parle de ma vie:
Little girl with the press and curl
Petite fille avec un "press and curl"
Age eight I got a Jheri curl
A huit ans, on m'a fait un "Jheri curl"
Thirteen I got a relaxer
A treize ans je me suis défrisé les cheveux
I was a source of so much laughter
On a tellement ri de moi
At fifteen when it all broke off
A 15 quinze ans mes cheveux se sont tous cassés
Eighteen and went all natural
A 18 ans je suis revenue au naturel

Beaucoup d'entre nous ont changé leur apparence à cause des pressions exercées par leur environnement. J'ai compris qu'il est important d'être qui on veut être
Ma décision de revenir au naturel n'avait a priori rien à voir avec des considérations philisophiques ou politiques. Je souhaitais juste me simplifier la vie, mais en prenant une telle décision, j'ai pris conscience que c'est un combat quotidien pour lutter contre les préjugés et j'ai embrassé ce combat!

Nous devons tous dépasser ces stéréotypes... Lequel d'entre nous n'a jamais entendu parler de "bons" et de "mauvais" cheveux
Good hair means curls and waves Bad hair means you look like a slave
Les bons cheveux sont bouclés ou ondulés, les mauvais signifient que tu as les attributs d'un esclave

En ce qui me concerne j'aime mes cheveux au naturel et ils n'ont jamais été aussi beaux!!!

Jetez un oeil au clip d'india & soyez naturels!!! :)





K.


Comments (0)