Building your routine (Part one)

Posted by Kyara | Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010

Hi guys,

We all are busy women and I think it’s important to be able to organize our hair routine in order to focus on other things…

Mobile Workplace

When I first went natural, I had a difficult time building my routine! I kept seeing everyone’s video with different routines, different products, different periodicities and I didn’t know what could apply to my hair…

That’s the reason why today I didn’t want to share my routine – because what works for me, might not work for you -  but I wanted to share a methodology, for you to build your own personalized routine.

businesswoman looking at an architectural model

Here is a table I created to know what I do, and when I should do it:

MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY SUNDAY COMMENTS
MOISTURIZE Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick every morning
SEAL Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick every morning
WASH Tick once a week
CO-WASH Tick once a week
DUST Tick on Saturdays every three months
BLOW DRY not planned
STRAIGHTEN not planned
PROTECT Tick Tick Tick protective style 3 days a week + every night with a satin bonnet
DETANGLE Tick Tick twice a week (after shampoo and co-wash)
PRE-POO Tick Tick twice a week (before shampoo and co-wash)
TRIM Tick on Saturdays every six months
DC* Tick *Deep Conditioning

 

Now that you see all the activities on one single table, you can better organize. For example, you know that you only detangle on your co-wash days, if you apply direct heat, you can plan to to deeper treatments on these days, and so on…

This table is an example but it allows you to put all the treatments you do to your hair and their periodicity, no matter which product you’re using. I put this table on my coiffeuse and now I never forget anything!!!

What do you think? Did it help you??

Stay tuned for the other parts:

Choosing the products, when do you need to change your routine, achieving your goals…

K.

Comments (9)

Very helpful! I was thinking about creating something like this but never got around to it. Now I don't have to start from scratch.

This is a great idea! This looks like a organized/quick way to keep up with a routine. I think it could be even more useful when you want to reference an old product or old techniques. thx!

@Bevy I'm happy it helped you!
I used this table big time at the beginning, before all of this became automatic

@Shantibaby you're sooooo right!!! It's really important to keep track of what works and what doesn't work for your specific type of hair!

I think it is a great idea! However, it is still important that we listen to our hair. I would like to do the same type of chart with the option to switch things around if for example, I'm noticing oily pillows and head rests. Then I need to reduce the sealing down to maybe once a day or three times a week. Or switch oils/moisturizers all together. This schedule is a great way to pin point what exactly might need to be changed and tweaked (which is what you stated, lol).

Thanks for the great ideas!

I'm glad to know i'm I'm not only one who made a chart,lol

i have no idea what happened to my first comment, lol i was saying i was glad i wasn't the only one who made a chart. :-)

LOL @beautywithcurls!!! No, you're not alone!

thank you so much. Lol i have been haven so much problems following a specific routine. it's like everytime i see another cool routione i change the one im one. But this helps a great deal.

I've never thought about writing out a haircare routine but it's a great idea. There are so many steps that go into getting fab hair that it's hard to keep up without one!